Accounting Pro

digital marketing, technology, notebook-1433427.jpg

Application for an Irish Driving Licence when coming from abroad

Most driving licenses are accepted in Ireland when you are coming from abroad to live in Ireland, you can drive if you are holding a valid driving license issued by an EU/EEA member state. However, in Ireland following Brexit, the UK driving license is no longer being legally recognised by Irish authorities and as such your insurance will no longer be valid.


You are not permitted to exchange your license if your license is issued by a country that is not recognised for Irish driving license exchange. You are required to go through the full driver licensing procedure. However, individuals who have a learner permit will only need to take 6 essential lessons instead of full lessons.


You can apply to exchange Irish drivers licence either online or in person.


For online application, you are required to complete the online form and send your license to the National Driver License Services (NDLS). The following would have to be prepared:

  • A Public Services Card and verified MyGovID
  • Current/ recent license
  • Proof of address if your address is different to the one you registered for Public Services Card
  • Proof that you are normally resident in Ireland if you are not an EU/EEA citizen
  • A medical report form if required
  • A eyesight report
  • Application fee of €55 (unless you are 70 or over)
  • Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) for professional drivers


For in-person application, you are required to arrange an appointment at your nearest NDLS centres and bring along the following documents:

  • A completed driver licence application (pdf) form
  • Current/ recent license
  • Proof of PPS number
  • Photo ID
  • Proof of address
  • Medical report if required
  • A eyesight report
  • Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) if needed
  • Application fee of €55 (unless you are 70 or over)


Accounting Pro is Ireland’s premier contractor accounting service.  We are here to help the busy contractor and company, with all your accounting and payroll needs. We are both an umbrella company and umbrella corporation and we can create your limited company. We are experts in contractor pensions, contractor health insurance, illness and sick benefit for the self employed and contractor expenses. To learn more about what we do please review and contact us by email: or phone us (01) 582 5405. “Application for an Irish Driving Licence when coming from abroad” is an article written by Accounting-Pro Ireland for the benefit of everyone. Feel free to share it but please give attribution on a CC BY-SA license.